TREATMENT FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Weight loss is usually intentional, obtained by dieting and exercise or unintentional and could be a manifestation of some illness. Weight loss may result from a decrease in liquid substance, muscle mass or fat. A decrease in liquid substance can come from medications, fluid loss, lack of fluid intake or illnesses like diabetes.
Weight loss is normal after pregnancy. Other causes of weight loss include, but aren't limited to, cancer, viral infection (such as CMV or HIV), gastroenteritis, parasite infection, depression, bowel diseases and overactive thyroid. The loss of weight and lack of nutrition is associated with a chronic illness that is termed as cachexia. Unexplained, unintentional weight loss is typically a result of an underlying illness and can be evaluated by a doctor.
Causes and symptoms of weight loss:
Unexplained weight loss is generally caused by conditions that range from mild to very serious. Several medical conditions can cause weight loss. People can help their doctor pinpoint the underlying cause by taking note of any additional symptoms that they experience. The causes of weight loss are often physical or psychological which includes:
- Endocrine conditions : Conditions like hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), diabetes, swelling of the pancreas and Addison’s disease.
- Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid produces more hormones than the body requires. People sometimes term this condition as an overactive thyroid. The thyroid produces certain hormones that regulate the body’s metabolism, these hormones often cause the body to burn more energy than usual. Burning more energy and calories can cause unintentional or unexplained weight loss. Other symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Tremor with shaking hands
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty sleeping
- Rapid heartbeat
- Changes in mood, sort of a rise in irritability or nervousness
- A swelling within the neck, called goiter
- Addison’s disease is an autoimmune disease that harms the adrenal glands and prevents them from producing enough cortisol and aldosterone. People diagnosed with Addison’s disease might notice a decrease in their appetite, also an unexplained weight loss, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Other symptoms of Addison’s disease include:
- Low BP or hypotension
- Muscle cramps
- Abnormally darkened areas of skin or hyperpigmentation
- Low levels of sugar and sodium within the blood
- High levels of potassium within the blood
- Low red blood corpuscle count or anemia
- High white blood corpuscle count(leukocytosis), typically occurs due to too many eosinophils
- Cancer : Although cancer symptoms tend to vary relying on the type, stage and site of the disease, unexplained weight loss is typically a logo of cancer. Cancer refers to any disease during which abnormal and mutated cells rapidly multiply and eventually invade healthy tissue. Weight loss is especially common in carcinoma and cancers that affect the alimentary tract, such as:
- Pancreatic cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Liver cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Bile duct carcinoma
- Esophageal cancer
- Digestive issues
- Changes in bowel or bladder function
- Skin changes
- Persistent cough
- Infections : Infections with viruses, bacteria and parasites aren't uncommon causes and include infections like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and endocarditis (infection of the guts valves)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) : COPD includes conditions like emphysema, bronchiectasis, Heart failure and bronchitis
- Intestinal problems : These include Gastrointestinal problems, like peptic ulceration or colitis disorder (allergy to gluten), regional enteritis, Kidney failure and pancreatitis.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) refers to inflammatory gastrointestinal conditions with system dysfunction:
- Crohn’s disease and colitis: Crohn’s disease can cause inflammation in any region of the alimentary tract, from the mouth to the anus. Colitis, on the other hand, only tends to affect the large intestine. IBD can reduce the body’s ability to digest food properly or absorb nutrients, which may cause malnutrition. Weight loss could also be a standard symptom of both conditions, especially among younger people. Other symptoms of IBD include:
- Frequent diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody stools due to alimentary canal bleeding
- Oral concerns : These include dental problems like gum disease, cavity and mouth sores
- Eating disorders : Both anorexia and bulimia can cause weight loss. Dysphagia (swallowing problems) and dementia could also cause weight loss
- Poor nutrition : This might flow from to poor food choices or finances that limit the acquisition of food (starvation).
- Psychological conditions : It includes depression and anxiety.
- Depression : The symptoms of depression might also induce weight loss. A prospective study was conducted where researchers examined the causes of unexplained weight loss. They identified depression as the underlying cause in the majority of participants. According to the researchers behind a 2016 study, there's evidence to suggest that people with depression may have associated suppressed interplay among the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands, which can affect the function of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Changes to the hypothalamus and pituitary also can affect the adrenal glands, which produce multiple hormones. These hormones include cortisol, which helps regulate BP, blood sugar level and metabolism. Other symptoms of depression include:
- Persistent or recurring feelings of sadness, hopelessness or apathy
- Changes in appetite, like eating more or not eating at all
- Usual unintentional weight loss or weight gain
- Medications : Side effects of prescription medications, nearly any medication may have weight loss as a consideration or side effect. Medications might also cause weight loss directly or cause nausea and loss of appetite leading to weightloss
- Drug abuse : Not only street drugs like methamphetamine, but prescription medications like Adderall and over-the-counter drugs like laxatives could cause weight loss. Smoking and alcohol consumption could also cause weightloss
- Neurological conditions : These include Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's disease and atrophic arthritis.
- Arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation within the joints. Although the Arthritis Foundation estimates that two-thirds of people who have RA may experience weight loss. This weight loss tends to occur because the chronic inflammation caused due to RA, forces the body to use more energy. Additionally, patients that have RA may experience muscle loss because the inflammation in their joints keeps them from engaging in regular physical activity. Some medications that people fancy treat RA may cause side effects, like diarrhea and loss of appetite, which can also contribute to weight loss
- Muscle loss, also mentioned as muscle atrophy, occurs when the muscles shrink or waste away. This condition can cause unexplained weight loss. Possible causes of muscle loss include:
- Inactivity thanks to an injury
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
Other early symptoms of cancer to concentrate to include:
People could mostly prevent muscle loss through proper nutrition and regular exercise. Physiotherapy after an injury or stroke may help reverse or prevent muscle loss.
Diagnosis of weight loss:
If you've unintentional weight loss, your doctor will first take a careful history, trying to seek out risk factors for several medical conditions, then will perform a physical exam. Based on the findings, they might recommend further tests and radiology studies.
- Tests and Lab diagnosis : Blood tests may be required depending on many factors, including any symptoms you're having.
- Complete blood count (CBC) : A CBC can reveal evidence of infections, anemia (that are often caused by many conditions that end in unintentional weight loss)
- Thyroid panel
- Liver function tests
- Kidney function tests
- Blood sugar (glucose)
- Tests for inflammation : Non-specific tests may include erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein
- Electrolytes : Sodium, potassium and calcium may help in diagnosing clues to detect an underlying problem
- Procedures : Endoscopy procedures such as upper GI endoscopy or colonoscopy can look for evidence of gastrointestinal conditions that cause weight loss. An echocardiogram is often considered as an ultrasound of the heart and is beneficial in diagnosing many conditions, including infections present on the valves of the heart (infectious endocarditis)
- Imaging Studies : Imaging tests which will be helpful include:
- Chest X-ray (it's important to notice that a clear chest X-ray can miss conditions like lung cancer)
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the chest or abdomen
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan could figure evidence of metastases from cancer.
Conventional treatments for weight loss:
The treatment of unintended weight loss will depend upon the underlying cause. Given the high likelihood of an underlying explanation for weight loss, anyone who has experienced the same without trying should get a radical history and physical exam performed additionally to other needed studies. Some of the causes of unintentional weight loss are fairly uncommon and this might require several visits to the doctor in order to figure out the cause.
Regardless of the cause, measures should be taken to treat weight loss as well. When a cause is identified, weight loss itself is typically pushed to the rear burner. For people who are diagnosed with cancer, a palliative care consultation should be considered. Palliative care teams do an outstanding job of addressing concerns indirectly related to cancer (for example, chemotherapy or radiation therapy) like unintentional weight loss. Treatment of weight loss can, in turn, help people tolerate treatments for no matter what the condition is, that has caused weight loss.
Clinical diagnosis of Weight loss using Acupuncture
During an acupuncture treatment, your acupuncturist inserts very thin needles into specific spots on your body. Insertion of the needles usually causes little discomfort. Each person who performs acupuncture has a unique style, often blending aspects of Eastern and Western approaches to medicine. To determine the type of acupuncture treatment that will help you the most, your practitioner may ask you about your symptoms, behaviors and lifestyle. He or she may also closely examine:
- The parts of your body that are painful
- The shape, coating and color of your tongue
- The color of your face
- The strength, rhythm and quality of the pulse in your wrist
This initial evaluation and treatment may take up to 60 minutes. Subsequent appointments usually take about a half-hour. A common treatment plan for a single complaint would typically involve one or two treatments a week. The number of treatments will depend on the condition being treated and its severity. In general, it's common to receive six to eight treatments.
Acupuncture for treating weight loss:
Acupuncture is a typical traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), that has been applied for thousands of years. The rapid development of acupuncture both in China and other parts of the world during the previous few decades has itself led to great innovations in practice. Acupuncture is a nonpharmacologic, noninvasive intervention. Its physiologic benefits might include the inhibition of α-MSH, decreased circulating cortisol levels, increased GI motility in noncancer patients, decreased proinflammatory cytokines and increased opioid peptides.
The potential benefits to patients could be inclusive of increased appetite, higher caloric intake, and weight gain. An overall improvement in appetite was found, among patients who suffered with non-appetite. The studies demonstrate that acupuncture is well-accepted by patients and has the potential for managing anorexia in GI cancer patients. The intervention of acupuncture was feasible and has indicated positive outcomes.
MECHANISM AND ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture involves the insertion of very fine, sterile, tiny needles at specific body points also known as “energy pathways.” The inserted needles act to stimulate the discharge of endorphins, the body’s natural “feel good” hormones. This will create a soothing, relaxing
effect, which counteracts the weight loss caused by increased stress, frustration or anxiety. During this aspect, acupuncture can calm those so afflicted and help them gain weight without resorting to drugs.
The effect of acupuncture on a client’s emotions tends to play an important role in aiding weight loss. Acupuncture affects the neuroendocrine system by blocking harmful neurochemicals to revive the natural balance of hormones and neurotransmitter levels. The resulting release of endorphins helps to scale back stress, which successively helps to stop weight loss.
Benefits of Acupuncture:
- Acupuncture treatment for stress, depression, insomnia and anxiety to affect these patterns would include: smooth liver Qi; tonify or strengthen spleen Qi, clear stagnant heart
- Acupuncture also can open these blocked pathways and permit Qi and blood to flow smoothly through your organs such as the Heart, Liver, Kidney, Spleen and Lungs, which supply the nutrients necessary for correct brain function. By regulating the organs during this manner, a state of balance is fostered within the body, mind and spirit, leading to peacefulness, clarity of mind and a return to the homeostasis
- Increases endorphins and neuropeptide levels, which may help to combat negatively affected state
- Stimulates the nerves located in muscles and other tissues, that ends up releasing endorphins and other neurohumoral factors and changes the processing of pain within the brain and spinal cord, combating diseases while preventing weight loss
BEST CURE FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Looking for a best solution to treat weight loss and underlying conditions, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a certified acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, with a vast knowledge on weight management and having worked with general practitioners, dieticians, nutritionists, bariatric physicians and bariatric surgeons, Dr. Bharath has seen Acupuncture doing wonders on people suffering from weight loss. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture and it can help alleviate the symptoms, reduce pain and increase the rate of curing underlying illness along with weight loss and helping patients get back to their normal routine, by evaluating your condition and offering appropriate treatment. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life, that focuses on treating weight loss, which allows you to live a hassle-free healthy life.
Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details on treating weight loss using Acupuncture.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
Owing to the demand for the treatment, there are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic to prevent weight loss. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic to prevent weight loss. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics. For example, in cases where a patient specifically requests acupuncture for loss of weight, or where it is felt that acupuncture would complement conventional treatment. In some cases, acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects.
Most of the best acupuncture clinics for loss of weight will spell out very clearly
- what type of acupuncture they practice
- how much they charge
- how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization
- whether the premises are hygienic and smart
- what other therapies they offer
So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats weight loss, you can look out for the above said factors.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Unexplained weight loss is a noticeable drop in body weight that occurs even if the person is not trying to lose weight. The weight loss does not come about because of diet, exercise or lifestyle changes. Weight loss of 10 pounds or more, or five percent of body weight, over a period of 6 to 12 months is considered “unexplained.”
Unexplained weight loss can be a symptom of a serious condition or illness. For this reason, it is important to seek medical attention if you (or a family member) have weight loss that cannot be explained.
- Chen SP, Peng LN, Lin MH, Lai HY, Hwang SJ, Chen LK. Evaluating probability of cancer among older people with unexplained, unintentional weight loss. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2010;50: S27–S29.
- Evans AT, Gupta R. Approach to the patient with unintentional weight loss. UpToDate. 2016.
- Vanderschueren S, Geens E, Knockaert D, Bobbaers H. The diagnostic spectrum of unintentional weight loss. Eur J Intern Med. 2005;16: 160–164.
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for weight loss by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
At Bharath's Acu Heat, Weight Loss is dealt with Acupuncture along with moxibustion. The treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. The Acupuncturist can understand the condition of the disease only after a thorough investigation by pulse and tongue diagnosis. In the first few sessions, there will be a positive change in the symptoms and after several sessions, there will be a 90% to 100% chance that the patient will get cured of Weight Loss. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a simple diet with food restrictions and exercise regime which includes an induced sound sleep that plays a vital role in reversing the disease.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for weight loss?
The weight loss process is a bit slow here. On average, it can be reduced to about 2kgs per month, which is very safe and healthy. Your body begins to feel light. We are not only concerned about losing weight but also restoring the body to shape by stimulating the reinforcing action in the belly area.
How many sessions of acupuncture do you need for weight loss?
It takes 6 months approximately with 2 or 3 sessions weekly.