Treatment for Thyroid
Physiology of thyroid glands, hormones and it’s cure using acupuncture!
The thyroid gland influences most of the metabolic processes in your body. Thyroid disorders can range from a harmless goiter (enlarged gland) that needs no treatment to life-threatening cancer. The most common thyroid problems involve abnormal production of thyroid hormones.
Types of Thyroid
- Too much thyroid hormone results in a condition known as hyperthyroidism.
- Insufficient hormone production results in hypothyroidism.
Although the consequences are often unpleasant or uncomfortable, most thyroid problems are often managed well if properly diagnosed and treated.
Causes of thyroid:
All types of hyperthyroidism are caused due to an overproduction of the thyroid hormones, but this condition might occur in several ways:
- Graves' disease : The production of too much thyroid hormone
- Toxic adenomas : Nodules develop in the thyroid gland and begin to secrete thyroid hormones, upsetting the body's chemical balance and some goiters may contain several of these nodules
- Subacute thyroiditis : Inflammation of the thyroid that causes the gland to produce excessive hormones, resulting in temporary hyperthyroidism that generally lasts a few of weeks but could persist for months
- Pituitary gland malfunctions or cancerous growths within the thyroid gland : Although rare, hyperthyroidism can also develop from these causes
On the contrary, hypothyroidism stems from an underproduction of thyroid hormones. Since the body's energy production requires certain amounts of thyroid hormones, a drop in hormone production leads to lower energy levels. Causes of hypothyroidism include:
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis : During this autoimmune disease, the body attacks thyroid tissue. The tissue eventually dies and stops producing hormones
- Removal of the thyroid gland : The thyroid gland could be surgically removed or chemically destroyed
- Exposure to excessive amounts of iodide : Cold and sinus medicines, the heart medicine amiodarone or certain contrast dyes given before some X-rays may expose you to too much iodine.You may be at greater risk for developing hypothyroidism if you have had thyroid problems in the past
- Lithium : This drug has also been implicated as an explanation for hypothyroidism
If left untreated for a long period of time, hypothyroidism could cause a myxedema coma, a rare but potentially fatal condition that needs immediate hormone treatment. Hypothyroidism possesses a special danger to infants and newborn babies. A lack of thyroid hormone within the system at an early age may cause the event of cretinism (intellectual disability) and dwarfism (stunted growth). These days most infants have their thyroid levels checked routinely soon after birth. If they are hypothyroid, treatment begins immediately. A hypothyroid infant is unusually inactive and quiet, has a poor appetite, and sleeps for excessively long periods of time.
Symptoms of thyroid:
There are a variety of symptoms you could experience if you have a thyroid disease. Unfortunately, symptoms of a thyroid condition are often very almost like the signs of other medical conditions and stages of life. This can make it difficult to understand if your symptoms are associated with a thyroid issue or something else entirely. For the most part, the symptoms of thyroid disease can be divided into two groups namely, those related to having too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism) and those related to having too little thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism).
1. Symptoms of an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can include:
- Experiencing anxiety, irritability and nervousness
- Having trouble sleeping
- Losing weight
- Having an enlarged thyroid gland or a goiter
- Having muscle weakness and tremors
- Experiencing irregular menstrual periods or not having your menstrual cycle at all.
- Feeling sensitive to heat.
- Having vision problems or eye irritation
2. Symptoms of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) can include:
- Feeling tired (fatigue)
- Gaining weight
- Experiencing forgetfulness
- Having frequent and heavy menstrual periods
- Having dry and coarse hair.
- Having a hoarse voice
- Experiencing an intolerance to cold temperatures
Diagnosis of thyroid:
The best treatment for Thyroid in Chennai can be initiated only after proper diagnosis.There are tests that help in determining if the symptoms are caused by a thyroid issue. These tests include:
- Blood tests : One of the foremost definitive ways to diagnose a thyroid problem is through blood tests. Thyroid blood tests are used to identify if your thyroid gland is functioning properly by measuring the amount of thyroid hormones in your blood. These tests are done by taking blood from a vein in your arm. Thyroid blood tests are used to see if you have Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism. These include:
- Graves’ disease
- Hashimoto’s disease
- Thyroid nodule
- Thyroid cancer
The specific blood tests that will be done to test your thyroid can include:
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
- T4: Thyroxine
- FT4: Free T4 or free thyroxine
- T3: Triiodothyronine
- FT3: Free T3 or free triiodothyronine
These tests alone aren’t meant to diagnose any illness but may prompt the doctor to do additional testing to evaluate for a possible thyroid disorder so that you can get the best remedy in chennai.
Additional blood tests might include:
- Thyroid antibodies : These tests help in the identification of various types of autoimmune thyroid conditions
- Calcitonin : This test is employed to diagnose C-cell hyperplasia and medullary thyroid cancer, both of these are very rare thyroid disorders
- Thyroglobulin : This test is used to diagnose thyroiditis (thyroid inflammation) and to monitor treatment of thyroid cancer
- Imaging tests : In many cases, taking a look at the thyroid itself can answer a lot of questions. The doctor might do an imaging test called a thyroid scan. This allows your provider to look at your thyroid to check for an increased size, shape or growths (nodules). Your provider could also use an imaging test called an ultrasound. This is a diagnostic procedure that transmits high-frequency sound waves, inaudible to the human ear, through body tissues. These echoes are usually recorded and transformed into video or photographic images
- Physical exam : Another way to quickly check the thyroid is with a physical exam in your doctor’s office. This is a very simple and painless test where your provider feels your neck for any growths or enlargement of the thyroid
Conventional treatment for thyroid:
Although subacute thyroiditis can bring on temporary hyperthyroidism, this condition doesn't require medical treatment. You may be advised to take acetaminophen or aspirin for any pain caused due to the inflamed thyroid. Usually children under age 19 shouldn't take aspirin because it has been linked to Reye's syndrome . If over-the-counter drugs don't help, your doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs like prednisone or dexamethasone for a short period of time.
Thyroid hormone production are often slowed or stopped completely with:
- Radioactive iodine treatment : If your doctor decides that radioactive treatment is best, you'll swallow a tablet or liquid with enough radioactive iodine to wreck the cells of your thyroid in order that they can't make hormones. Sometimes you will need quite one treatment to chop back hormone production to a traditional level. Many people develop hypothyroidism as a result of this procedure
- Anti-thyroid medication : After you start using anti-thyroid medications, your symptoms should begin to disappear in about 6-8 weeks. But you'll typically need to keep taking the medication for about a year. At that point, your doctor will check to ascertain if you need to stop. You'll need regular checkups once you're off the drugs to form sure your hormone levels stay balanced
- Surgery : Doctors don't usually performs surgery unless you're pregnant (and can’t take anti-thyroid medicine) or have a large goiter or cancerous nodule
Someone with hypothyroidism will have to take thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of their life. Not even drugs, medications or surgery could boost your thyroid once it slows down.
Doctors generally prescribe man-made hormones such as levothyroxine. Side effects are rare, but some people have nervousness or pain while taking these drugs. Adjusting the dose of medication usually gets rid of any unpleasant effects. Let your doctor realize everything you're taking, because some things could affect how well the medication works:
- Estrogen in hormone replacement therapy or birth control
- The blood-thinning drug warfarin
- The heart drug digitalis
- Supplements and products that contain magnesium, aluminum, iron or soy.
CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS OF THYROID USING ACUPUNCTURE
The best treatment for thyroid in Chennai can be initiated only after proper diagnosis.During an acupuncture treatment, your acupuncturist inserts very thin needles into specific spots on your body. Insertion of the needles usually causes little discomfort.
Each person who performs acupuncture has a unique style, often blending aspects of Eastern and Western approaches to medicine. To determine the type of acupuncture treatment that will help you the most, your practitioner may ask you about your symptoms, behaviors and lifestyle. He or she may also closely examine:
- The parts of your body that are painful
- The shape, coating and color of your tongue
- The color of your face
- The strength, rhythm and quality of the pulse in your wrist
This initial evaluation and treatment may take up to 60 minutes. Subsequent appointments usually take about a half-hour. A common treatment plan for a single complaint would typically involve one or two treatments a week. The number of treatments will depend on the condition being treated and its severity. In general, it's common to receive six to eight treatments.
Acupuncture to treat thyroid:
A study by the Global Advances in Health and Medicine suggests that acupuncture is a viable treatment option for hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism and reports prove that acupuncture could also be helpful in rectifying hormonal imbalances, including thyroid disorders. Acupuncture is considered as the best remedy for the thyroid problems.
As with any disease or disorder, traditional Chinese medicine regards both broad categories of thyroid disease—hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism—as being caused by an imbalance of yin (loosely defined as structure) and yang (function) in the body. The goal of Chinese medicine is to achieve a balance between these two forces.Hence, Acupuncture will give the best remedy for Thyroid related problems.
Mechanism of Acupuncture:
Traditional Chinese Medicine has a holistic perspective in the development of diagnostic impressions and treatment procedures for every patient. The purpose of Traditional Chinese Medicine is to awaken the natural ability of the body to heal itself. Acupuncture gives the best relief for thyroid problems Traditional Chinese Medicine seeks the root cause within the patterns of imbalance, which determines to be a deficiency of both Kidney Yin and Kidney Yang. In acupuncture are used very fine sterile needles which are inserted into certain points into the body with purpose to clear the heat, strengthen the Liver And Kidney Yin and invigorate the Kidney Yang.The main cause of hypothyroidism is Yang Deficiency in which the function of the body to warm, motivate and transform is insufficient. The primary organ systems that are included are the Spleen and Kidney, and the Heart organ system becomes more involved in the advanced stage.According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, hyperthyroidism is a combination of Qi and Yin inadequacy, Liver fire uprising and phlegm stagnation. Qi and Yin inadequacy is the fundamental cause, while the symptoms and signs show Liver fire and phlegm stagnation.
Effectiveness of Acupuncture treatment
Acupuncture is a key component of traditional Chinese medicine and gives Relief for all the thyroid related disorders.
- It involves the insertion of extremely thin needles through your skin at strategic points on your body and is most ordinarily used to treat pain. While the explanation is that, it balances the flow of energy or life force known as qi or chi throughout the body.
- Many practitioners believe the acupuncture points help stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissue, which may increase blood flow and the body's natural painkillers.
- People who tout the benefits of acupuncture treatment for diabetes cite the actual fact that acupuncture stimulates endorphins. Endorphins are hormones that trigger positive feelings in your body and block feelings of pain.
Benefits of Acupuncture:
Acupuncture treatment principles are specifically tailored to cater each individual's symptoms, since they tend to vary. The British Acupuncture Council cites variety of specific ways during which acupuncture has been found to be potentially useful for treating thyroid disease, such as:
- Increasing levels of thyroid hormones in the people with hypothyroidism
- Lowering levels of thyroid hormones in patients with hyperthyroidism
- Reducing sensitivity to pain and stress, also as promoting relaxation by working on specific areas of the brain
- Increasing the discharge of the chemical adenosine, which decreases sensitivity to pain
- Improving muscle stiffness and joint mobility by increasing blood circulation in small blood vessels, which aids dispersal of swelling
- Reducing inflammation by promoting the release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
BEST CURE FOR THYROID ISSUES
Looking for a best solution to treat thyroid, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a certified acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience,having worked with several endocrinologists, Dr. Bharath has seen Acupuncture doing wonders on people suffering from thyroid disorders. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture and it can help alleviate the symptoms, reduce pain and increase the rate of curing thyroid problems, helping patients get back to their normal routine, by evaluating the condition and offering appropriate treatment. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life, that focuses on treating thyroid, which allows you to live a hassle free healthy life.
Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details on treating thyroid problems using Acupuncture.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
Best Acupuncture Clinic near me
Owing to the demand for the treatment, there are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for Thyroid related issues. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic for Endocrinology. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics. For example in cases where a patient specifically requests acupuncture for thyroid Problem, or where it is felt that acupuncture would complement conventional treatment. In some cases acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects.
Most of the best acupuncture clinics for Thyroid related issue will spell out very clearly
- what type of acupuncture they practice
- how much they charge
- how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization
- whether the premises are hygienic and smart
- what other therapies they offer
So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats thyroid issues, you can look out for the above said factors.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
The bottom line
If you have recurring Thyroid issues or are looking to try alternative treatments acupuncture may be worth a shot. Acupuncture for thyroid problems is considered as the best alternative treatment. Just make sure you see a licensed acupuncturist and keep up with any prescribed thyroid related issues.
- Merson J. Hypothyroidism. JAAPA. 2018 Dec;31(12):43-44.
- Yasoda A. [Secondary osteoporosis. Hyperthyroidism.] Clin Calcium. 2018;28(12):1619-1625.
- Duran İD, Gülçelik NE, Bulut B, Balcı Z, Berker D, Güler S. Differences in Calcium Metabolism and Thyroid Physiology After Sleeve Gastrectomy and Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass. Obes Surg. 2019 Feb;29(2):705-712.
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for thyroid by Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal?
After a thorough investigation by pulse and tongue diagnosis, the Acupuncturist will understand the condition of the disease. Acupuncture treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, there will be positive changes in the symptoms and after few more sessions, there will be a 90% to 100% chance that the patient will get cured of Thyroid. The patient will be advised on a diet with food restrictions, exercise regime which includes a sound sleep that plays a vital role in reversing the disease.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for the thyroid?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. Acupuncture treatment allows tapering down the existing medication. It, additionally, helps in reducing weight, constipation, and hormonal imbalance, which are also addressed.
How many sessions of acupuncture do you need for your thyroid?
It takes approximately 40 to 50 sessions in a span of 5 to 6 months
Is acupuncture safe & good for the thyroid?
Yes, acupuncture is 100% safe when it is performed by an experienced Acupuncturist and some people may get immediate relief.