TREATMENT FOR SCAPULAR PAIN
The scapula or shoulder blades are the triangular bones on the back of the shoulders.
Each shoulder blade connects the upper arm bone to the collarbone and has three groups of muscles attached to it. These muscles help move the shoulder joint.
The shoulder has a wide range of motion. The muscles that connect the shoulder blade allow the shoulder to rotate, move in a circle, move up and down, and side to side.
As the shoulder can move in so many ways, it is easy to injure, which can cause shoulder blade pain or scapular pain.
Unfortunately, scapular pain is not often as simple as injury-related pain. In some cases, scapular pain is caused by pain from a nearby organ in distress.
An injury to a muscle or tendon is a common reason for this type of pain. Muscle strains can result from:
- heavy lifting
- poor posture
- working at a computer for extended periods of time
- other activities
Sometimes, you can even strain a muscle during sleep.
Injuries to other parts of your body, such as rotator cuff tears, spine fractures, or other injuries that cause trauma, can also lead to pain between your scapula.
Other causes for shoulder blade pain include:
- degenerative disc disease, or a herniated or bulging disc in the spine
- osteoarthritis in the joints around your neck, spine, or ribs
- spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of your spinal cord
- acid reflux
- myofascial pain syndrome
- certain cancers, such as lung cancer, lymphomas, liver cancer, esophageal cancer, mesothelioma, and cancers that spread to bones
- nerve compression
- gallstone, which is often accompanied by nausea and pain in the upper right part of your abdomen
Scapula pain is sometimes a symptom of heart attack. Other signs, such as chest pain and shortness of breath, may also be present.
- Pain and/or tenderness around the scapula, especially on the top and medial (inner) border
- Weakness in the affected arm—your arm may feel "tired" or "dead" when you try to use it vigorously
- Fatigue with repetitive activities, especially overhead movements
- Limited range of motion—you may be unable to raise your arm above shoulder height
- A "crunching" or "snapping" sound with shoulder movement
- Noticeable protrusion or "winging" of the scapula
- A drooped or forward tilted posture on the affected side
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
- excessive sweating
- pain, swelling, or redness in your legs
- coughing up blood
- rapid or irregular heartbeat
- sudden difficulty speaking
- loss of vision
- paralysis on one side of your body
- loss of consciousness
These tests may include:
- heart tests, such as an electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) or stress test
- abdominal tests, such as endoscopy
- blood work that tests for liver function
- radiological studies of the chest and back using an MRI or CT scan
Treatment depends largely on the exact cause of the pain.
For simple cases of overuse, strain, or sleeping poorly, a person may be able to try a range of treatments from home. These may include:
- pain relief medications such as ibuprofen
- medicated rubs and ointments
Where there is an underlying disorder, treatment relies on treating the underlying cause. For example, cancer may require radiation, chemotherapy, or other therapies. Heart conditions may need medications that target heart problems.
Preventable shoulder blade pain is typically associated with trauma and overuse. Steps to take may include:
- avoiding potential falling risks
- wearing a seatbelt in a car
- easing into any new workout routine
- changing sleeping positions
Other means of prevention include:
- eating a balanced diet that is rich in nutrients
- getting moderate exercise
Being older than 30 years of age and leading a sedentary lifestyle are the most common risk factors. These and other risk factors include:
- Congenital (present at birth) or acquired back deformities (such as scoliosis)
- Family history of back pain or spine disease
- Increasing age
- Poor posture
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Stress and anxiety
- Weak abdominal (core) muscles
- Absenteeism from work or school
- Permanent nerve damage (due to a pinched nerve) including paralysis
- Physiological and psychological response to chronic pain
- Poor quality of life
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture helps relieve pain, reduce inflammation, release tight muscles, and increase range of motion.The Acupuncture Evidence Project shows that there is evidence to support the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of scapular pain. Electroacupuncture is also often used in the treatment of injuries as it has been found to release powerful pain-relieving substances within the body.Acupuncture can reduce pain naturally by decreasing inflammation, improving blood flow to the area, and helping damaged or torn tissues to heal.Acupuncture can be tremendously helpful in naturally managing acute or chronic scapular pain, and may even help resolve the pain completely.
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture is a non-drug therapy being used to treat scapular pain for decades. It is thought that acupuncture works by releasing chemical compounds in the body that relieve pain, by overriding pain signals in the nerves or by allowing energy (Qi) or blood to flow freely through the body.Studies have shown that acupuncture can provide pain relief, improve range of motion and speed up recovery time. Acupuncture for scapular pain is an essential pain management approach for relieving this type of pain. Acupuncture can increase blood flow and circulation to your shoulder joint by balancing the electrical gradient in the fascia, nerves, and cells. This medical specialty relieves pain, promotes healing, and increases the production of synovial fluid in your shoulder to encourage smoother movement.
BEST CURE FOR SCAPULAR PAIN
Looking for the best relief for scapular pain in Chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from the best rated clinic Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a best acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, and having worked with several orthopedician & physiotherapist, Dr.Bharath can create the treatment plan for the best cure for scapular pain to manage the condition that's tailored to your needs. As the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai he has witnessed acupuncture doing wonders for people suffering from scapular pain . The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture. So, take some time to find the right pain management and best remedy for acupuncture approach that suits you. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a best cure and a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life. To contact the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai, Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating scapular pain. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit thebest Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics.Acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats scapular pain, you can look out for these factors.Treatment without surgery for scapular pain is possible through acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
The shoulder is a complex structure and getting the right diagnosis is ultimately the key to your recovery. Dial +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com to get the best remedy if you experience inability to move your shoulder, lasting bruising, heat and tenderness around the joint, or pain that persists beyond a few weeks of home treatment.
- Fu, Q, Shi, G, Li, Q, He, T, Liu, B, Sun, S, Wang, J, Tan, C, Yang, B & Liu, C 2014, ‘Acupuncture at local and distal points for chronic shoulder pain: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial’, BioMed Central, Vol. 15, No. 130, viewed 20 June 2020.
- Lathia, A, Jung, S & Chen, L 2009, ‘Efficacy of Acupuncture as a Treatment for Chronic Shoulder Pain’, THE JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE, Vol. 15 No. 6, pp.613 – 618, viewed 20 June 2020.
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for scapular pain by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
The scapula or shoulder blades are the triangular bones on the back of the shoulders. Each shoulder blade connects the upper arm bone to the collarbone and has three groups of muscles attached to it. These muscles help move the shoulder joint. As the shoulder can move in so many ways, it is easy to injure, which can cause shoulder blade pain or scapular pain. The causes may be due to heavy lifting, poor posture, working at a computer for extended periods of time, exercise,other activities
After a thorough physical investigation and listening to the patient’s complaints, condition of the ailment is understood by the Acupuncturist.
The treatment will be given based on the ailment’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, positive changes in symptoms may be experienced and after several more sessions there are 90 to 100% chances that the patient be cured of this ailment.
This treatment will help in inducing sound sleep which will help and play a vital role in reversing this ailment. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a diet and exercise regime.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for scapular pain ?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. During or after completing the course of treatment any form of medication if any can be stopped.
How many sessions do you need for scapular pain ?
It takes around 20 to 30 sessions in a period of 2 to 4 months.