TREATMENT FOR FACIAL SWELLING
Face swelling is the enlargement or distension of the face due to fluid buildup or inflammation in the facial tissues. Swelling can occur anywhere on the face, but it is most noticeable on the lips, cheeks and eyelids. Swelling may also affect the neck and upper arms. Facial swelling may also be referred to as facial edema.
A variety of mild to serious disorders, diseases and conditions can lead to face swelling. Swelling can result from infections, inflammation, trauma and malignancy.
Depending on the cause, facial swelling can last for a short time, such as when you develop swollen eyelids during an allergic reaction to animal dander. Facial swelling that develops over time and occurs along with additional symptoms may be a sign of an infection, such as erysipelas or sinusitis.
Face swelling may occur with other symptoms including:
- Eye pain or redness
- Facial pain
- Skin sores or pus-filled bumps
- Watery, itchy eyes
- Pain while chewing or swallowing
- Painful swelling near one or both ears
- Coughing, wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Face swelling after head trauma
- Feeling like your throat is tight
- Fever with red and tender areas
- General edema (swelling)
- Hives or rash
- Intense distress
- Itching in the throat or mouth
- Pale or bluish coloration (cyanosis)
- Protruding or bulging eye or eyes (proptosis) with redness, fever and pain
- Sudden or severe swelling
- Bacterial or viral conjunctivitis (noticeable swelling around the eyes)
- Erysipelas (an aggressive Group A Streptococcus infection that most frequently harms children and the immunocompromised)
- Cellulitis (skin infection)
- Orbital cellulitis (acute infection of the area surrounding the eye)
- Sinus infection or sinusitis
- Stye (also called a hordeolum, infected oil gland of the eyelid)
- Tooth abscess
- Insect bite allergy, such as from a bee sting
- Hay fever or allergic reaction from animal dander, dust, cosmetics, or pollen
- Drug allergy, such as to penicillin or codeine
- Anaphylactic allergic reaction to any substance
- Facial burn or other trauma
- Surgery on the face
- Oral surgery
- Blood transfusion reaction
- Cancer of the face
- Fluid retention, such as during pregnancy
- Hereditary angioedema
- Organ failure, such as heart, liver or kidney failure
- Pre-eclampsia (a serious condition marked by swelling, high blood pressure, and protein in the urine that can develop during pregnancy)
- Severe malnutrition
A doctor might be able to diagnose some conditions based on a description of your symptoms and a physical examination. These include anaphylaxis, mumps, cellulitis, and a tooth abscess.
Sometimes, other tests are needed to diagnose the cause, including:
- blood pressure reading
- blood tests (evaluate liver, thyroid, and kidney function)
- imaging tests (MRI, CT scan, X-rays)
- fetal ultrasound
It is difficult to prevent all cases of face swelling, but doing the following can help:
- avoiding known allergens, including problematic foods and medications.
- practicing good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing the teeth regularly to reduce the risk of tooth infection
- eating a healthful diet and reducing stress to boost immunity, which may help prevent some of the infections that cause facial swelling
Complications associated with facial swelling can be progressive and vary depending on the underlying cause. Because facial swelling can be due to serious diseases, failure to seek treatment can result in complications and permanent damage. Once the underlying cause is diagnosed, following the treatment plan outlined by your doctor can lower your risk for potential complications of these conditions including:
- Difficulty breathing or respiratory arrest from anaphylactic shock
- Loss of sight from orbital cellulitis
- Skin or other tissue removal, such as due a serious infection or malignant condition
- Spread of infection to other parts of the body, including the blood
- high blood pressure
- kidney and/or liver damage
- fluid in your lungs
- blood clotting
- Skin reactions such as hives or rash
- Low blood pressure
- Weak or rapid pulse
- Nausea, diarrhea or vomiting
- Dizziness and/or fainting
Certain conditions and factors may increase your risk for developing facial swelling. You may be more likely to develop facial swelling if you:
- Have a family history of severe allergic reactions
- Are pregnant
- Have an infection
- Have consumed large quantities of alcohol or salt
- Are underweight or overweight
You can try the following remedies at home to address your facial swelling.
- Ice: If the swelling is due to trauma or inflammation, place ice packs on the face to reduce the swelling.
- Hydration: A swollen or puffy face might be a sign of severe dehydration. Hydrating with water may help.
- Time: If the swelling is due to lack of sleep or too much alcohol, it may take time and rest for the swelling to go down.
If your face swelling worsens or persists, or home remedies do not help, see a doctor. He or she may recommend the following treatment options.
- Antibiotics: Your doctor may provide antibiotics for a bacterial infection
- Dental referral: If a dental infection is the cause of the swelling, a doctor may refer you to a dentist.
- Blood tests: If your doctor suspects a medical condition such as a hormone imbalance, he or she may order blood tests to check your hormone levels.
- Pregnancy test: If you have missed your period, your doctor may order a pregnancy test.
- cIntravenous medication (IV): For facial swelling that occurs as part of an allergic reaction, your doctor will likely administer medication through an IV as soon as possible to reverse the symptoms.
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture is chosen by many people since it is one of the best remedies that help to treat a variety of health issues that includes facial swelling. This treatment is meant to focus on the present swelling in the face while strengthening your system and cause less reaction in the future. Acupuncture is said to have some advantages over many drugs available in market and helps in providing treatments without drugs as well. The benefits of Acupuncture are immediate relief from symptoms and reduced chances of recurrence. Acupuncture is the best alternative treatment and is very effective for facial swelling.
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
In TCM, or Traditional Chinese Medicine, there is the belief that the body contains meridians or energy channels through which life energy or Qi flows throughout the organs and limbs, carrying out the body's daily operations. In this practice, it's believed that complications in this flow of energy are what cause illness or pain. In turn, inserting thin needles into different points on these meridians is thought to bring balance to the flow of energy in the body, which is called acupuncture. Think of it like your phone's "restore factory settings" feature, but applied to your body or face. Benefits of Acupuncture in facial swelling includes the elimination of some wrinkles and a decrease in length and depth of other wrinkles and also
- Decrease of facial edema.
- Increase of facial muscle tone.
- Livelier appearance of the eyes.
- Decrease of sagging around the eyes, cheeks, chin, and neck.
- Improved skin texture, including tighter pores.
BEST CURE FOR FACIAL SWELLING
Looking for the best relief for facial swelling in Chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from the best rated clinic Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a best acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, and having worked with several pulmonologists,dermatologists and dentists, Dr.Bharath can create the treatment plan for the best cure for facial swelling to manage the condition that's tailored to your needs, which can break a cycle of long-lasting swelling in the face. As the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai he has witnessed acupuncture doing wonders for people suffering from facial swelling.The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture. So, take some time to find the right pain management and best remedy for acupuncture approach that suits you. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a best cure and a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life. To contact the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai, Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating facial swelling. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital, pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics.Acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats facial swelling, you can look out for these factors. Treatment without drug for facial swelling is possible through acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Facial swelling and swelling in general may be a sign of a serious condition, you should talk with your medical professional about your symptoms. If you experience facial swelling accompanied by difficulty in breathing, hives, intense distress, fever, redness, or warmth ,dial +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com to get treated for facial swelling without any side effects.
- Macioca G Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and HerbalistsLondon, UK:Churchill Livingstone;1996.
- Ni M The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine: A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary New York:Random House;1995.
- Xinnong C Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion Beijing, China:Foreign Language Press;1999.
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for facial swelling by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
Face swelling is the enlargement or distension of the face due to fluid build up or inflammation in the facial tissues. Swelling can occur anywhere on the face, but it is most noticeable on the lips, cheeks and eyelids. Swelling may also affect the neck and upper arms. Facial swelling may also be referred to as facial edema.
After a thorough investigation by pulse and tongue diagnosis, condition of the disease creating facial swelling is understood by the Acupuncturist .
The treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, positive changes in symptoms may be experienced and after the course completion there are 90 to 100% chance that the patient be cured of the disease .
This treatment will help in inducing sound sleep which will help and play a vital role in reversing the diseases. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a diet and exercise regime.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for facial swelling?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. During or after completing the course of treatment any form of medication if any can be stopped.
How many sessions do you need for facial swelling?
It takes around 10 to 25 sessions in a period of 1 to 3 months.