TREATMENT FOR JOINT PAIN IN KNEES
JOINT PAIN IN KNEES
Joints are the parts of your body where your bones meet. Joints allow the bones of your skeleton to move.Joint pain refers to discomfort, aches, and soreness in any of the body’s joints. Joint pain in the knee is a common complaint that affects people of all ages. Knee pain may be the result of an injury, such as a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage.Sometimes, joint pain is the result of an illness or injury. Arthritis is also a common cause of joint pain. However, it can also be due to other conditions or factors.
Osteoarthritis symptoms often develop slowly and worsen over time. Signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- Arthritis-osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- bursitis, or inflammation of the cushioning pads around joints
- certain infectious diseases, such as mumps, influenza, and hepatitis
- chondromalacia of the patella, or a breakdown of the cartilage in the kneecap
- an injury
- tendinitis, or inflammation of the tendon
- an infection of the bone or joint
- overuse of a joint
- Excessive weight
- Swelling and stiffness
- Redness and warmth to the touch
- Weakness or instability
- Popping or crunching noises
- Inability to fully straighten the knee
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Computed tomography scan (CT or CAT scan)
- Radionuclide bone scan
- Blood tests
- Removal of joint fluid (arthrocentesis)
- Excess weight
- Lack of muscle flexibility or strength
- Certain sports or occupations
- Previous injury
Not all knee pain is serious. But some knee injuries and medical conditions, such as osteoarthritis, can lead to
- increasing pain
- joint damage and
- disability if left untreated
- you'll have similar injuries in the future
Although it's not always possible to prevent knee pain, the following suggestions may help forestall injuries and joint deterioration:
- Maintain your weight. Because extra weight can increase your chances of developing osteoarthritis, maintain a weight that's appropriate for your size and age to decrease stress on your knees and to avoid increased chances for knee injuries.
- Wear sensible shoes with a good fit. It will help you to maintain proper leg alignment and balance, ultimately preventing knee injuries.
- Warm up. Before starting any exercise, warm up and then do stretches. If you stretch muscles in the front and back of your thighs, it decreases tension on your tendons, ultimately relieving pressure on the knees.
- Do low-impact exercise. At the gym, opt for a rowing machine or a cross-country skiing machine. Both offer a strong workout with low impact to your knees.
- Swim or walk. When exercising outside of the gym, opt for swimming or walking.
- Weight train. Strengthen your leg muscles to better support your knees and avoid injuries by working out with weights. But be sure to consult with an expert first on the right way to lift weights to prevent knee pain.
- Don't decrease your activity. A decrease in activity will lead to weakness, increasing your chances of injuries.
- Don't suddenly change the intensity of your exercise. Build up gradually to avoid knee pain.
- Consider physical therapy. If you already have a knee injury, visit a physical therapist who can help to set up an appropriate exercise regime.
Treatments will vary, depending upon what exactly is causing your knee pain.
- Therapy-Strengthening the muscles around your knee will make it more stable. Your doctor may recommend physical therapy or different types of strengthening exercises based on the specific condition that is causing your pain.
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Partial knee replacement surgery
- Total knee replacement
- Medication-Over-the-counter medications may help ease knee pain. Some people find relief by rubbing the affected knee with creams containing a numbing agent that makes chili peppers hot.
- Lifestyle and home remedies
Self-care measures for an injured knee include:
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT
Acupuncture is often a successful go-to therapy for chronic knee pain. It can be used to treat both acute and chronic knee pain. Research shows that it has positively been helpful for several people suffering from joint pain in the knees. Acupuncture is suggested to be better for knee joint pain than certain medications. It is an ancient Chinese treatment that has become a well-liked and well-researched method for managing this pain. Acupuncture could relieve chronic pain for 12 months or more, and to a degree that was clinically significant. Apart from promoting an anti-inflammatory effect, studies show that acupuncture releases endogenous opioid endorphins which is the body’s natural pain-relieving chemical.Acupuncture is a good option to keep in mind to decrease pain, inflammation and stiffness, and increase range of motion, in your knee. Acupuncture can improve your overall quality of life, meaning you can better participate in all of your day-to-day activities.
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
As an affordable and safe treatment, the efficacy of acupuncture in treating knee patients has been demonstrated.The pathogenesis of Knee pain is related to inflammatory factors, cytokines, chemicals, signaling pathways, genetics, and biomechanics which mediate cartilage degradation. It has been demonstrated that IL-1β and TNF-α contribute significantly to the severity and progression of Knee pain. They can not only activate various signaling pathways such as mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK) signaling pathway and Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) signaling pathway but also promote nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandin-E2 (PGE2) release, resulting in upregulation of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and destruction of collagen II, which induce Knee pain. The mechanism of acupuncture in alleviating pain and promoting functional recovery in Knee pain patients involves:
- inhibiting the overexpression of inflammatory factors such as IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α;
- suppressing the activity of some signaling pathways such as MAPK signaling pathway;
- promoting the release of antioxidants; and
- inhibiting hypertrophic differentiation of chondrocytes.
BEST CURE FOR JOINT PAIN IN KNEES
Looking for the best relief for knee joint pain in Chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from the best rated clinic Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a best acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, and having worked with several orthopedician, Dr. Bharath can create the treatment plan for the best cure for knee joint pain to manage the condition that's tailored to your needs, which can break a cycle of long-lasting pain in the knee joint. As the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai he has witnessed acupuncture doing wonders for people suffering from knee joint pain. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture. So, take some time to find the right pain management and best remedy for acupuncture approach that suits you. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a best cure and a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life. To contact the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai, Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to
choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating knee joint pain. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics. Acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats knee joint pain, you can look out for these factors.Treatment without surgery for knee joint pain is possible through acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Joint pain in knees is often a result of the damage that occurs through normal wear and tear. However, it can also be a sign of an infection or potentially debilitating rheumatoid arthritis.
You should see your doctor if you have any unexplained joint pain in your knees, especially if it doesn’t go away on its own after a few days. Early detection and diagnosis can allow for effective treatment of the underlying cause of your discomfort. Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
- Whittingham M, Palmer S, Macmillan F. Effects of knee pain and knee pain treatments: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy. 2004;34(9):504–510.
- Roos EM, Lohmander LS. The Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): from joint injury to osteoarthritis. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2003;1(1):64.
- Acupuncture for knee osteoarthritis with sensitized acupoints: results from a pilot, feasibility randomized controlled trial.Jia P, et al. Pilot Feasibility Stud. 2020.PMID: 33005432
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for joint pain in knees by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
Pains in the knee joint occurs due to various reasons, few are osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis, break down of cartilage in the knee cap, overuse of joints, excess weight, gout etc resulting in symptoms like swelling and stiffness , weakness, instability or inability to fully straighten the knees. A patient with the symptom is treated through Acupuncture after a thorough investigation by pulse and tongue diagnosis, after which the condition of the disease is understood by the Acupuncturist . Acupuncture treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, positive changes in symptoms may be experienced and after several more sessions there are 90 to 100% chance that the patient be cured of the ailment . This treatment will induce sound sleep which will help and play a vital role in reversing the ailment. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a diet and exercise regime
What are the benefits of acupuncture for joint pain in knees?
This is a drugless therapy and so no side effects. After completing the course of treatment, in most cases previous medication may be stopped .
How many sessions do you need for joint pain in knees?
About 20 to 40 sessions may be required in 2 months or 5months time depending upon the severity.