TREATMENT FOR NECK COMPRESSION
Neck compression is caused by any condition that puts pressure on your spinal cord in the cervical region. Your spinal cord is the bundle of nerves that carries messages back and forth from your brain to your muscles and other soft tissues. As your spinal cord travels down your back, it is protected by a stack of backbones called vertebrae. They also hold your body upright. The nerves of your spinal cord run through the openings between the vertebrae and out to your muscles.
Neck compression or Spinal cord compression can occur anywhere from your neck (cervical spine) down to your lower back (lumbar spine). Depending on the cause of the compression, symptoms may develop suddenly or gradually, and they may require anything from supportive care to emergency surgery.
Some of the symptoms of myelopathy mimic other spinal problems. Symptoms that may be associated with cervical myelopathy include:
- Find yourself dropping things
- Hand clumsiness (eg, buttoning a shirt)
- Balance problems
- Difficulty walking
- Pain and stiffness in the neck, back, or lower back
- Burning pain that spreads to the arms, buttocks, or down into the legs (sciatica)
- Numbness, cramping, or weakness in the arms, hands, or legs
- Loss of sensation in the feet
- "Foot drop," weakness in a foot that causes a limp
- cauda equina syndrome
- Loss of sexual ability
One of the most common causes of Neck compression or spinal cord compression is the gradual wear and tear on the bones of the spine, known as osteoarthritis. Other conditions that may cause Neck compression or spinal cord compression can develop more quickly, even very suddenly, and can occur at any age:
- Abnormal spine alignment (scoliosis)
- Injury to the spine
- Spinal tumor
- Certain bone diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spinal stenosis
- Ruptured or herniated disc
To diagnose neck compression, your doctor will ask you questions about your symptoms and do a complete physical exam. During the exam, he or she will look for signs of a neck compression, such as loss of sensation, weakness, and abnormal reflexes. Tests that help with your diagnosis may include:
- X-rays of your spine. These may show bone growths called spurs that push against spinal nerves. X-rays may also show an abnormal alignment of your spine.
- Special imaging tests of your spine. A CT or MRI scan will give a more detailed look at the spinal cord and the structures surrounding it.
- Other studies. These may include a bone scan, myelogram (a special X-ray or CT scan taken after injecting dye into the spinal column), and electromyography, or EMG, an electrical test of muscle activity.
The medical team involved in treating your neck compression may include arthritis specialists, bone surgeons, nerve specialists, and physical therapists. Treatment depends on the cause and your symptoms and may involve medication, physical therapy, injections, and surgery. Except in cases of emergency, such as cauda equina syndrome or a broken back, surgery is usually the last resort.
- Medicines may include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that relieve pain and swelling, and steroid injections that reduce swelling.
- Simple home remedies like an ice bag, heating pad, massage, or a long hot shower can help reduce pain.
- Physical therapy may include exercises to strengthen your back, abdominal, and leg muscles. You may learn how to do activities more safely. Braces to support your back or a cervical collar may also be helpful.
- Surgical treatments include removing bone spurs and widening the space between vertebrae. Other procedures may be done to relieve pressure on the spine or repair fractured vertebrae. The back may also be stabilized by fusing some of the vertebrae together.
- Radiation therapy to remove a tumor.
- Draining of an abscess or hematoma.
- Some other treatments that may be helpful for some people include acupuncture and chiropractic care.
Many causes of Neck compression can’t be prevented. You can help prevent symptoms of spinal cord compression caused by gradual wear and tear by keeping your back as strong and healthy as possible.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise strengthens the muscles that support your back and helps keep your spine flexible.
- Maintain good posture and learn how to safely lift heavy objects. Other good body mechanics include sleeping on a firm mattress and sitting in a chair that supports the natural curves of your back.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight puts more stress on your back and can contribute to developing symptoms of spinal compression.
Neck compression risk factors include:
- Conditions that weaken the bones, such as osteoporosis and some cancers
- Spinal arthritis including osteoarthritis and other degenerative forms that can damage the spine
- Certain cancers likely to metastasize to the spine, such as breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, or kidney cancer
- Spinal deformity
- Bleeding disorders
- Participating in sports or activities with a higher risk of injuring the neck or spine, such as diving into shallow water
- Without treatment, Neck compression or spinal cord compression can permanently damage the nerves in the spine, which can result in long-term disability.
- Neck compression or Spinal cord compression can cause paralysis. The length of time between injury and surgery or other treatment can affect the degree of spinal cord compression and nerve damage.
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT
Research and studies have suggested that acupuncture can help improve neck function and reduce pain. Neck compression may be a challenging condition to treat in clinical practice and features a considerable impact on quality of life and disability. According to the thought of traditional Chinese medicine, acupoints and tender points may become sensitised when the body is during a diseased state. Stimulation of such sensitive points may give the best remedy for neck compression and improve clinical efficacy.
These researches and studies aim to gauge the efficacy and safety of needling at sensitive acupoints in providing relief of neck compression and improve the cervical vertebral function and quality of life in patients with chronic neck pain. Acupuncture is widespread in the world. Conventional treatments and medicines are said to be wonderful and successful, but in many chronic conditions there happens to be a lack of success, and acupuncture may be the best remedy to cure them. Studies prove that acupuncture is more effective than most of the customary treatments for neck compression. Get the Best way to remove neck compression through acupuncture and get better.
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture is considered as a physical intervention which involves placement of small needles within the skin at different acupoints, has been practiced for 2000 years and is typically used for several types of chronic pain.
- It is firmly believed that acupuncture helps to relieve the neck compression by preventing or modifying peripheral, spinal and supraspinal mechanisms. Even when symptoms of pain and stiffness are only within the neck area, the needles could also be placed in other areas of the body additionally to the neck.
- Acupuncture works to stimulate the nervous system to unblock Qi, the body’s life force or vital energy. Qi flows through channels within the body called meridians. Within meridian channels are many points or acupoints on the body that correspond to specific body systems. A basic principle of TCM is when Qi is disrupted or blocked, symptoms of physical illness and/or mental distress can develop.
- Acupuncture releases natural painkillers. Inserting a needle sends a sign through the systema nervosum to the brain, where chemicals like endorphins, norepinephrine, and enkephalin are released. Some of these substances are 10 to 200 times more potent than morphine.Reviews and studies have expressed promise that acupuncture could be better than most pain medications
BEST CURE FOR NECK COMPRESSION
Looking for the best relief for Neck compression in Chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from the best rated clinic Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a best acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, and having worked with several orthopedician, neurologists and spine surgeon Dr.Bharath can create the treatment plan for the best cure for neck compression to manage the condition that's tailored to your needs, which can break a cycle of long-lasting numbness and pain in the neck. As the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai he has witnessed acupuncture doing wonders for people suffering from neck compression. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture. So, take some time to find the right pain management and best remedy for acupuncture approach that suits you. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a best cure and a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life. To contact the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai, Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating Neck compression. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics. Acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats Neck compression, you can look out for these factors. Treatment without surgery for Neck compression is possible through Acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
While some people have no signs or symptoms associated with their neck compression, others experience significant pain and neurological dysfunction that can take a major toll on their quality of life. Fortunately, treatment options can help you successfully manage—even eliminate—your symptoms. Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
- Cohen SP, Hooten WM. Advances in the diagnosis and management of neck pain. BMJ 2017; 358: j3221.
- Walton DM, Carroll LJ, Kasch H, Sterling M, Verhagen AP, Macdermid JC et al. An Overview of Systematic Reviews on Prognostic Factors in Neck Pain: Results from the International Collaboration on Neck Pain (ICON) Project. Open Orthop J 2013; 7: 494-505.
- Medical news today - Mechanisms of Acupuncture for neck pain - Medically reviewed by Yamini Ranchod, Ph.D., M.S. — Written by Yvette Brazier on December 21, 2017.
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for neck compression by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
Neck compression is caused by any condition that puts pressure on your spinal cord in the cervical region. Neck compression or Spinal cord compression can occur anywhere from your neck (cervical spine) down to your lower back (lumbar spine). Depending on the cause of the compression, symptoms may develop suddenly or gradually, and they may require anything from supportive care to emergency surgery.
The treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, positive changes in symptoms may be experienced and after several more sessions there are 90 to 100% chance that the patient be cured of the disease . This treatment will help in inducing sound sleep which will help and play a vital role in reversing this ailment. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a diet and exercise regime.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for neck compression?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. During or after completing the course of treatment any form of medication if any can be stopped.
How many sessions do you need for neck compression?
It takes around 30 to 40 sessions in a period of 4 to 5 months.