TREATMENT FOR OLIGOSPERMIA
A fertile man features a sperm count that ranges from 15 million to over 200 million sperm per milliliter of semen. Anything under 15 million sperm is taken into account as oligospermia or a condition of low sperm count. Oligospermia is one of the infertility problems in men that is not new anymore. Although having oligospermia decreases the chances that a sperm will find and fertilize an egg, it doesn't completely rule out the likelihood of conceiving naturally.
The number of sperm in your semen is merely one among many factors that determine whether you and your partner can conceive.
- Mild oligospermia is 10 to 15 million sperm/mL
- Moderate oligospermia is taken into account 5 to 10 million sperm/mL
- Severe oligospermia is diagnosed when sperm count ranges between 0 and 5 million sperm/mL
Only men who have difficulty with getting their partner to conceive naturally, tend to ultimately seek medical help in order to be diagnosed.
Causes of oligospermia could be distributed into three major factors:
- Medical Factors: A number of medical and health issues causes Oligospermia, including:
- Varicocele : It is a condition where there is enlargement of veins within the loose bag of skin that holds testicles (scrotum). It is one among the foremost causes for low sperm count or oligospermia
- Infections : Virus infection might affect the sperm production, as well as its quality and quantity. Viruses causing infections like sexually transmitted infections can reduce the sperm amount in the semen
- Ejaculation issues : Ejaculation problems due to health issues like diabetes, surgery of the bladder and spinal injuries, cause retrograde ejaculation. This is a problem when sperm enters the bladder rather than leaving from the tip of the penis
- Hormonal imbalance : The brain and therefore the testicles produce several hormones that are liable for ejaculation and sperm production. An imbalance in any of those hormones can contribute to low sperm count
- Medications : Medicines such as beta-blockers and antibiotics could cause ejaculation defects and low sperm count
- Environmental Factors: Constant exposure to toxins and chemicals in the environment could affect sperm production
- Chemical exposure : Pesticides, cleaning agents and the chemicals utilized in the paint can reduce sperm count
- Metal exposure : Constant exposure to heavy metals like lead also can cause oligospermiaRadiation: Exposure to radiation and X-rays tend to reduce sperm production. Constant or high exposure to the radiation can also cause Azoospermia, meaning nil sperm
- Radiation : Exposure to radiation and X-rays tend to reduce sperm production. Constant or high exposure to the radiation can also cause Azoospermia, meaning nil sperm
- Overheating testicles : Constant sitting, placing laptops over your genitals, predicament tubs and wearing tight clothing may all contribute to overheating. An increase in the temperature around the testicles affects sperm production and quality
- Lifestyle Factors: Your lifestyle plays an important role in overall health. Some widespread Oligospermia causes are as follows,
- Usage of drugs : Anabolic steroid medicines that are used to stimulate muscle growth and strength could shrink the testicles, affecting sperm production
- Consumption of Alcohol : Excessive consumption of alcohol may reduce sperm count and quality
- Smoking : Smoking is injurious to your sperms also. Men who smoke have low sperm counts compared to the lads who don’t smoke
- Obesity : Being overweight or obese might increases the risk for low sperm count in many different ways. Excess body fat and low muscle mass keeps the testosterone level below the traditional level leading to poor quality of sperms
- Stress : Stress is one among the common oligospermia causes. It causes hormonal imbalance affecting sperm production
For some men there aren’t any obvious oligospermia symptoms, this condition only comes across once they start checking out the explanations for not having the ability to conceive. But in some cases, one can notice some warning signs that indicate there are some issues with the male genital system. These common symptoms include:
- Swollen and Enlarged vein in the scrotum
- Thick discharge
- Pain, swelling or lumps in the testicle areas
- Decreased facial and hair or other signs indicating hormonal imbalances
- Sexual functioning issues just like the inability to take care of an erection or other ejaculatory issues
- Some also face pain while urinating, due to infections
A number of risk factors are linked to Oligospermia or low sperm count and other problems that can cause low sperm count. They include:
- Smoking tobacco
- Drinking alcohol
- Using certain illicit drugs
- Being overweight
- Being severely depressed or stressed
- Having certain past or present infections
- Being exposed to toxins
- Overheating the testicles
- Having experienced trauma to the testicles
- Being born with a fertility disorder or having a blood relative, such as your brother or father, with a fertility disorder
- Having certain medical conditions, including tumors and chronic illnesses
- Undergoing cancer treatments, such as radiation
- Taking certain medications
- Having a prior vasectomy or major abdominal or pelvic surgery
- Having a history of undescended testicles
Infertility caused by oligospermia or low sperm count can be stressful for both you and your partner. Complications can include:
- Surgery or other treatments for an underlying cause of low sperm count
- Expensive and involved assisted reproductive techniques, such as in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Stress related to the inability to have a child
To protect your fertility, avoid known factors that can affect sperm count and quality. For example:
- Don't smoke.
- Limit or abstain from alcohol.
- Steer clear of illicit drugs.
- Talk to your doctor about medications that can affect sperm count.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid heat.
- Manage stress
- Avoid exposure to pesticides, heavy metals and other toxins.
When you see a doctor because you're having trouble getting your partner to conceive, they would try to determine the underlying cause. Even if your doctor thinks low sperm count is the problem, it is recommended that your partner should also be evaluated to rule out potential contributing factors and determine if assisted reproductive techniques might be required.
- General physical examination : This includes examination of your genitals and asking questions on any inherited conditions, chronic health problems, illnesses, injuries or surgeries that would affect fertility. Your doctor may additionally ask about your sexual habits and your sexual development
- Semen analysis : A low sperm count is diagnosed as a part of a semen analysis test. Sperm count is usually determined by examining semen under a microscope to ascertain what percentage sperm appear within squares on a grid pattern. In some cases, a computer could be used to measure the sperm count
- Other tests : Depending on initial findings, your doctor might recommend additional tests to seem for the explanation for your low sperm count and other possible causes of male infertility. These may include:
- Scrotal ultrasound : This test uses high-frequency sound waves to view the testicles and supporting structures
- Hormone testing : Your doctor might recommend a biopsy to work out the extent of hormones produced by the pituitary and testicles, which play a key role in sexual development and sperm production
- Post-ejaculation urinalysis : Sperm in your urine can indicate that your sperm is traveling backward into the bladder rather than out your penis during ejaculation (retrograde ejaculation)
- Genetic tests : When sperm concentration is extremely low, genetic causes might be involved. A biopsy can reveal whether there are subtle changes within the Y chromosome which are signs of a genetic disease. Genetic testing may additionally be ordered to diagnose various congenital or inherited syndromes
- Testicular biopsy : This test involves removing samples from the testicle with a needle. The results of testicular biopsy could show if the sperm production is normal. If it is, your problem is probably caused by a blockage or another problem with sperm transport. However, this test is usually only utilized in certain situations and isn't commonly used to diagnose infertility
- Anti-sperm antibody tests : These tests, which are used to check for immune cells (antibodies) that attack sperm and affect their ability to function
- Specialized sperm function tests : A variety of tests are often done to check how well your sperm survives after ejaculation, how well they penetrate into an egg and whether there is any problem related to the egg.
- Transrectal ultrasound : A tiny lubricated wand is inserted into your rectum to see your prostate and check for blockages of the tubes that carry semen (ejaculatory ducts and seminal vesicles)
Oligospermia treatment is important to resolve the infertility issue in men. The treatment includes,
- Surgery : Surgery needs to be performed if the cause of oligospermia is due to Varicocele. In the surgery the doctor will close off the enlarged vein, redirecting the blood flow to another vein
- Medications : When the causes of oligospermia includes hormonal imbalance, infection and inflammation, the treatment will include medications. The treatment tends to prevent further sperm count drop
- Lifestyle Changes : One of the key oligospermia treatments is improvising the life-style factors affecting sperm production and count. The major lifestyle changes needed to tame Oligospermia includes:
- Quitting smoking
- Limiting the alcohol intake
- Reducing Stress
- Exercise Regularly
- Eat healthily
- Avoid high temperatures
- Avoid excessive consumption of medicines
- Increase Vitamin and Calcium intake
- Hormone Treatments : A variety of hormonal medications and injections could restore the hormones to a normal level improving the sperm count as well
- Assisted Reproduction Techniques (ART) : Assisted Reproduction Techniques including IVF or IUI might help you to embrace parenthood while dealing with Oligospermia. If you are trying to become a father but the conception is not achieved by natural means, it is suggested for both the partners to meet a fertility expert and get your fertility tests done. If you are diagnosed with oligospermia, seeking assistance from a fertility expert as early as possible is the best option
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT:
Acupuncture may help some men overcome infertility problems such as Oligospermia by improving the standard of their sperm, consistent with a study. Researchers found that acupuncture treatment reduced the amount of structural abnormalities in sperm and increased the general number of normal sperm in a group of men with infertility problems.Acupuncture may help within the treatment of oligospermia by:
- Lowering scrotal temperature
- Enhancing local microcirculation, by increasing the diameter and blood flow velocity of peripheral arterioles
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors by improving sperm maturation within the epididymis, increasing testosterone levels, and reducing lipid peroxidation of sperm
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
- Acupuncture works by unblocking the body’s trapped energy (in Chinese medicine this is often called Qi) through the body’s systems
- The modern scientific explanation is when needling the trigger points this stimulates the nervous system to release chemicals in the muscles, spinal cord and brain including endorphins, enkephalins and other types of neurochemicals
- Results suggest that acupuncture may complement traditional infertility treatments and help men reach their full reproductive potential. Studies of acupuncture and male infertility have suggested that acupuncture can improve sperm production and motility (a measure of sperm movement)
- Acupuncture treatment directed to the testis may enhance blood supply within the internal spermatic artery, decrease the testicular temperature by heat exchange within the pampiniform plexus and interrupt the peroxidation process
- Predominantly, acupuncture doesn't directly kill the pathogenic microorganisms but rather stimulates the body's immune reaction.
BEST CURE FOR OLIGOSPERMIA
Looking for a best solution to treat oligospermia in chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a certified acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, with vast knowledge on infertility related issues and having worked with several urologists and fertility specialist, Dr.Bharath has seen Acupuncture doing wonders on people suffering from oligospermia. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture and it can help alleviate the symptoms, reduce pain and increase the rate of pregnancy, helping patients get back to their normal routine, by evaluating your condition and offering appropriate treatment. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a ‘miracle’ in improving their quality of life, that focuses on treating oligospermia, which allows you to live a hassle free healthy life.Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details on treating oligospermia using Acupuncture.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating oligospermia. Acupuncture is also offered in hospitals, pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be
prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics.Acupuncture is offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats oligospermia, you can look out for these factors.Treatment without drugs for oligospermia is possible through acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Low sperm counts decrease the chances you can conceive naturally with your partner. However, they don’t rule it out entirely. Many men with oligospermia are able to fertilize their partner’s egg, despite lower sperm numbers. Dial +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com ask your doctor about the best treatment or strategies that might help improve your chances of conception.
- Jung A, Schuppe HC. Influence of genital stress on semen quality in humans. Andrologia. 2007;39:203–15.
- Nagy ZP, Verheyen G, Liu J, Joris H, Janssenswillen C, Wisanto A, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem AC. Results of 55 intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles in the treatment of male-immunological infertility. Hum Reprod. 1995 Jul;10(7):1775–1780.
- Current Insights and Latest Updates in Sperm Motility and Associated Applications in Assisted Reproduction. Dcunha R, et al. Reprod Sci. 2020. PMID: 33289064
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for oligospermia by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
A fertile man features a sperm count that ranges from 15 million to over 200 million sperm per millilitre of semen. Anything under 15 million sperm is taken into account as oligospermia or a condition of low sperm count.
After a thorough investigation by pulse and tongue diagnosis, condition of the disease is understood by the Acupuncturist.
The treatment will be given based on the disease’s chronicity and acuteness. In the first few sessions, positive changes in symptoms may be experienced and after several more sessions there are 60 to 70% chances that the patient be cured of the disease.
This treatment will help in inducing sound sleep which will help and play a vital role in reversing this ailment. Simultaneously the patient will be advised on a diet and exercise regime.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for oligospermia?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. During or after completing the course of treatment any form of medication if any can be stopped.
How many sessions do you need for oligospermia?
It takes around 30 to 40 sessions in a period of 4 to 5 months.