TREATMENT FOR DISC BULGING
Disk bulging occurs when the spongy disks in the spine become compressed.A bulging disk occurs when the spongy disks between the bones in the spine become compressed and bulge out. It can lead to a person experiencing pain and mobility issues. Bulging disks are usually due to age-related degeneration, while symptoms tend to progress gradually.Bulging discs may refer to a protruding disc.
A series of interlocking bones, called vertebrae, make up the spine. These vertebrae provide support for the spine and enable the back to bend and move.Between each vertebra is soft tissue, known as a spinal disk, which prevents bones from rubbing against each other. The disks also act as shock absorbers to prevent damage during movement.
Each disk contains a tough outer layer with gel in the middle. This gel may decrease with age, become compressed, and push out. When the disk bulges, it may make contact with a nerve and trigger pain.Most bulging disks occur at the bottom of the lumbar spine. Sometimes, the outer layer of the disk breaks down and causes a herniated disk. A herniated disk, also known as a ruptured or slipped disk, is when the gel-like center leaks out through a tear in the disk’s exterior wall.
The symptoms of a bulging disk depend on its severity and location in the spine.Some people may experience no initial symptoms. However, with further disk degeneration and herniation, a person may have the following symptoms:
- back pain that worsens with movement, such as sneezes
- Tingling or pain in the fingers, hands, arms, neck or shoulders- This could indicate a bulging disc in the cervical area.
- Pain in the feet, thighs, lower spine and buttocks- This is the most common symptom and could indicate an issue in the lumbar region.
- Difficulty walking
- feeling of impairment while lifting or holding things.
- spasms in the back muscles
- weakness and numbness in the legs and feet
- reduced mobility in the legs, knees, and ankles
- decreased bladder and bowel control
- reduced coordination
A herniated disk in the upper part of the spine may trigger similar symptoms. However, instead of affecting the legs, it may cause symptoms in the upper body, including numbness and weakness.Pain may also radiate to different areas of the body, such as the arms or rib cage.
- People who have led a sedentary lifestyle or those who smoke increase the chances for bulging disc.
- Continuous strain on the disc from injury or heavy lifting and strain can wear them down throughout the years.
- Weakened back muscles can accelerate the process and may lead to a sudden herniation of the weakened disc.
- Although bulging discs occur over time, herniated discs may occur quickly by trauma.
- Bad posture including improper body positioning during sleep, sitting, standing or exercise are all risk factors which may contribute to the development of a bulging disc.
- High contact sports or activities are also risk factors.
- Runners who fail to use shoes that provide orthopedic support may also develop bulging discs.
- Activities that place stress and strain on the spine can lead to the weakening of the discs
A thorough medical examination which includes
- MRI scans
These testing formats show changes in shape and condition of the disc.
- Conservative treatment is also called nonoperative management. It includes rest and medications and is often enough to heal a bulging cervical disc.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen are the first-line prescription medications for a bulging disc. For more severe pain, your doctor may prescribe a muscle relaxer or narcotic pain reliever.
- Physical therapy (PT) may relieve pressure on the nerve.
- At-home traction devices can ease pressure on the nerve.
- Cortisone injections (known as epidural steroid injections, or ESI) into the spine can provide longer-term relief.
- Various surgical procedures treat cervical herniation.
Preventing a bulging disk is not always possible, as disk gel naturally degrades over time. However, people can take the following steps to prevent a bulging disk from becoming severe:
- maintaining a moderate weight to reduce pressure on the vertebrae
- keeping physically active to strengthen the muscles surrounding the spine
- staying flexible and stretching when sitting for long periods
- practicing good posture to reduce stress on the spine
Untreated Disc bulge leads to,
- Nerve damage
- Disc bulge can cut off nerve impulses to the cauda equina nerves in your lower back and legs. If this occurs, you may lose bowel or bladder control.
- Saddle anesthesia- In this case, the slipped disc compresses nerves and causes you to lose sensation in your inner thighs, the back of your legs, and around your rectum.
- Age. The most common risk factor is being between the ages of 35 and 50. The condition rarely causes symptoms after age 80.
- Gender. Men have roughly twice the risk for Disc bulge and lumbar herniated discs compared with women.
- Physically demanding work. Jobs that require heavy lifting and other physical labor have been linked to a greater risk of developing a lumbar herniated disc and disc bulge. Pulling, pushing, and twisting actions can add to risk if they’re done repeatedly.
EFFECTIVENESS OF ACUPUNCTURE
Treatment with Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, epidural injections and painkillers have side effects. These are for long term use and are costly. Whereas, the Acupuncturist treats the disc bulge by inserting needles into the pressure points to relieve pain.This is cost-effective, sometimes can be time consuming, but you get sure relief.Improvements included pain reductions, increases in range of motion, and improved straight leg lift testing.
The Gate Control Theory may play a role in acupuncture's effectiveness at reducing pain. This theory asserts that pain signals travel slowly from the area of injury to the spinal cord into the brain because the nerves can only handle a limited number of signals at once. Acupuncture is thought to generate faster signals to crowd out the slow-moving pain signals, thus blocking out the pain.
MECHANISM OF ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture is rooted in the belief that everyone has an energy force called the qi. When the qi is blocked or unbalanced, your body may respond with pain and illness. Traditional acupuncturists aim to free up qi channels, known as meridians, by inserting extremely thin needles into specific points in your body's meridians.It has also been suggested that acupuncture triggers the release of endorphins into the bloodstream. Simply put, endorphins are your body's natural pain relievers. As such, their release decreases your perception of pain.
Acupuncture treatment was administered to patients in the prone position. Acupuncture points MBW24, MBW35 , BL25, and BL23 were selected along with ashi points . Points GB30 , BL54 , and BL36 were added for patients with ischial pain.They were manually manipulated using reinforcing-reducing techniques to obtain deqi. Needles were retained for 30 minutes. Treatment was provided once daily, for a total of 15 days. Acupuncture may be more effective than conventional care when treating disc bulge.
BEST CURE FOR DISC BULGE
Looking for the best relief for disc bulge in Chennai, here’s why you should reach out to the expert Acupuncturist Dr. Shaji Bharath from the best rated clinic Dr.Bharath’s Acu Heal. He is currently treating patients for a wide range of conditions. As a best acupuncture practitioner with 15 years of experience, and having worked with several orthopedician and neurologist Dr. Bharath can create the treatment plan for the best cure for disc bulge to manage the condition that's tailored to your needs, which can break a cycle of long-lasting numbness and pain in the back. As the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai he has witnessed acupuncture doing wonders for people suffering from disc bulge. The effectiveness rate increases several times just with one course of Acupuncture. So, take some time to find the right pain management and best remedy for acupuncture approach that suits you. Most of the people swear by acupuncture, citing it as a best cure and a ‘miracle’ to improving their quality of life. To contact the top acupuncture doctor in Chennai, Dial: +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE DOCTOR NEAR ME
To choose the Best doctor for Acupuncture, it's important that the Acupuncturist should have a decade of experience and treated at least 1000 to 2000 patients.
You can also search for the Best Acupuncture Doctor near me or ask your primary care physician to refer an experienced Acupuncturist nearby. Once you find the Best Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, you may go through their google reviews first and then fix an appointment with the doctor only when you are satisfied with the reviews.
The Best Acupuncture Doctor should address your concerns and help you feel more comfortable before your first session. Acupuncture usually takes numerous sessions or several weeks to get a complete cure in any ailment but within 3 or 4 sessions the patients will experience positive differences.
BEST ACUPUNCTURE CLINIC NEAR ME
There are numerous clinics popping up and it is sometimes skeptical to choose the best or even the safe one. To address such concerns, you can look into the following points to choose the best acupuncture clinic for treating disc bulge. Acupuncture is also offered in hospital pain clinics and by healthcare organizations but it is ideal to visit the best Acupuncture Clinic. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to contact your local doctor to see if they would be prepared to refer to the best rated acupuncture clinics.Acupuncture is
offered in top rated acupuncture clinics near me because conventional treatment has failed or produces unacceptable side effects. Most of the best acupuncture clinics will spell out very clearly what type of acupuncture they practice and how professional they are - at present anyone can set themselves up as an acupuncturist but reputable practitioners will belong to an organization. So while you are filtering the best clinics for acupuncture that treats disc bulge, you can look out for these factors.Treatment without surgery for Disc bulge is possible through Acupuncture and it gives the best result.
We have been rewarded a 5-star rating from Google & Practo. You can also check the reviews there.
THE BOTTOM LINE
A bulging disc is a medical condition that develops over long periods of time. Although seen more often with aging, it can happen to younger people as well. Some may experience sensations ranging from tingling to various levels of pain before advanced disc bulging and herniation. Early detection means that simpler treatments may prevent worsening of the condition. If you have any questions on treatment protocol for disc bulge, do not hesitate to contact +91 9884746916 or Visit: drbharathsacuheal.com for more details.
- Yang Chaoqun et al. “Effect of Postural Adjustment and Warm Acupuncture on Intervertebral Discogenic Low Back Pain” Modern Journal of integrated Traditional Chinese and western Medicine (2018) May, 27 (13).
- Xia Shuyu “Acupuncture and Moxibustion in the Treatment of Postoperative Pain of lumbar disc herniation for 55 Cases” Guangming Journal of Chinese Medicine (2018) May, 33 (10).
For further clarifications or
to fix an Appointment
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
What are the services provided for disc bulging by Dr. Bharath’s Acu Heal?
Disc bulge generally happens in the lumbar or cervical vertebrae. This can be treated through Acupuncture by strengthening the paraspinal muscle to support the spine. By doing this, the gap between the pressed vertebrae also expands thus allowing the herniated disc to move back to its original place. This treatment helps in increasing the blood flow to the affected area, improving the mass of the disc after a certain period, and also strengthens the spine on the whole.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for disc bulging?
This is a drugless therapy and there are no side effects. The chances of recurrence are very rare after post-treatment. After completing the course of treatment any form of medication can be stopped.
How many sessions do you need for disc bulging?
It depends upon the severity of the disease. Generally, it takes around 30 to 40 sessions in a period of 3 to 4 months.